This is part four of our five part series – How to Get Found Online
What is social media? Media (content that is published) with a social (anyone can add to and share it) component. Social media is like a business networking reception without the constraints of time and space.
Social Media is Inbound Marketing
- Social media helps with SEO
- Social media promotes your blog
- Social media is permission centric
- The conversation has already started… it’s time that you’re aware of it and develop a strategy for engaging in it and using it for marketing
STEP 1: Guidelines for Engagement
- Meet people and start conversations, become a real member of the community – don’t join to just advertise your products.
- Add value to the community – answer questions and help others.
- Ask questions – trust others’ advice.
STEP 2: Publish, Share, and Network
- Publish: Everyone can publish anything for everyone
- Publish everything you have anywhere you can
- Monitor what others publish and promote it
- Empower your customers to publish
Share: Anyone can promote anything to everyone
- Monitor what’s being shared about you
- Find where your audience hangs out
- Promote valuable content, yours and others’
- Product content your audience will love
Network: Anyone can connect with everyone from anywhere
- Make friends – find your existing connections and build new ones
- Be helpful – answer questions, share interesting content
STEP 3: Measure & Analyze
- Key metrics to consider are: number of blog visitors and subscribers, del.icio.us bookmarks, inbound links, Facebook fans and activity, friends on Facebook or LinkedIn, votes for blog articles, posts in forums.
- Measure real business results: number of visitors, leads, and customers generated by each social media effort.