This is the second part of our 5 part series – How to get found online!
How do you research and purchase products and services? Probably like most consumers do – through search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.
The question is this: Is your website getting found by consumers looking for you?
Paid or Organic?
There are two kinds of search results: paid results and organic (or natural) results.
Paid results are those listings that you see in the sidebar that require a fee for the search engines to list their link for particular keywords. The most widely used form of paid listings is Pay Per Click (PPC). This is where you pay each time someone clicks on the link in your advertisement. The price increases based on competitiveness of the keyword (s) you’re using.
Organic results are gathered by search engines’ web crawlers (also called bots or spiders as some people have tagged them) and ranked according to relevance to search terms. This relevance is calculated by criteria such as extent of keyword match and number of links into that website. Ranking in the organic search results is better because not only is it FREE, but research shows that people click on the organic results 75% of the time and paid results only 25% of the time.
So how does Father Google Decide?
Google and other search engines rank websites in search engine results pages according to relevance to the search terms. This relevance is calculated by looking at both on-page factors such as the content on your site and off-page factors in the form of inbound links (important) to your website. Off-page factors are the biggest influencers in your website’s ranking in search engine results.
How do we beat the bots?
STEP 1: Find Keywords
- Search Volume – Given two different keyword phrases, optimize for the one with the larger number of searches.
- Relevance – Choose keywords that your target market is using to describe and search for your products and services (do YOU know what those are?).
- Difficulty or Competition – Consider your chances for ranking on the first page of Google for that keyword phrase. Look at the sites ranked in those first 10 slots, their authority and relevance to search terms, and gage if you will be able to overtake them to secure a spot on that first page.
STEP 2: On-Page SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Place keywords in the page title, URL, headings, and page text Optimize your page description for maximum click- through-rate when your site ranks in Google searches.
- Place keywords in other “invisible” places on your site, including meta-keyword tags and alt-text on images.
(Don’t know how to do this? Ask your website person – if they don’t know – hire us!)
STEP 3: Off-Page SEO
- Build more inbound links from other sites into yours. Each link serves as a recommendation or a reference to tell the search engines that your site is a quality site.
- Build more links within context, i.e. those with valuable keywords in the link anchor text (the text that is hyperlinked to your site). Link anchor text provides context for the search engines to understand what your site is about.
- Build more links from trusted websites. Just as references from well-respected friends and experts offer more value, so do links from trusted and well-respected websites.
- Submit your website to directories like the Yahoo! Directory and Business.com
- Communicate with others in your industry through blogs and other social media
- Create compelling tools (such as an interesting calculator) and content (via a blog, for example)
STEP 4: Measure & Analyze
- Track number of inbound links, keyword rank over time and compare to competition.
- Measure real business results: number of visitors, leads, and customers from SEO
Let us know how we can help you with your social media presence – it’s ALL about YOU after all – when you succeed – we succeed!
Contact Us for More Information – Like Us on Facebook – Follow Us on Twitter – Join our LinkedIn Group
Hi! I’ve been following your blog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great job!
First of all I would like to say fantastic blog!
I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Thank you!
Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you provide here and can’t wait to
take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even
using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, good site!
Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was
wondering your situation; we have developed some nice methods and we are looking to exchange
solutions with others, be sure to shoot me an email if
Always great to find a new blog this fantastic I’ll be back here for certain.
I hear you. Everything sucks, and then you blog.
Howdy this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors
or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You are so fantastic!!! I have become obsessed with your
blog and I spend most of my time reading all
your posts. And I made an account JUST to post comments.
I wish I’d found out about sooner, and I wish you posted as much as you used to! You must be constantly busy now though because you’re so famous!
I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for.
Do you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?
I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome web site!
We do offer guest writers to write content on the subject of social media – however – we do not pay our writers. You can place your bio and one link at the end of your posts. If you are interested, please email email@example.com for more information.
Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really
make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your design.
Thanks a lot
Our design is from Elegant Themes, you can purchase different templates there. http://www.elegantthemes.com
It is funny just how many different blogs there are on this subject I don’t know if I will have to come back, but it is great to know I found the one that has a little useful stuff if this comes up for me another time.
I need to highlight that unless you develop plenty
of anchor texts, very good and constantly updated posts and high quality
backlinks to your site, you may have no chance to rank
well at Google after Penguin.
Ι will right away grasp your rss aѕ I can’t to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me recognize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.
I doubt I could keep up with managing a blog like yours!
Good work and I truly would love to see you keep
up the pace.
Great blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Kudos!
Great website. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you in your sweat!